We all take for granted just how lucky we are to have a roof over our heads. This can become a problem, when we forget to make sure our roofing is being properly maintained. To make matters worse, many homeowners across America engage in common mistakes that may actually be harmful to their roofing.
Fortunately, Divine Roofing, Inc. is here to make sure you don’t end up inadvertently causing any property damage. Keep reading to learn the common habits that may be hurting your roof, and remember to call our experienced Colorado Springs roofers for repairs and more.
The Top 7 Habits That Cause Roof Damage:
- Ignoring Leaks: If you notice leaks in your home, bottom line—call a professional. Some people assume that a leak which only flares up when it rains is not a major problem, yet waiting to deal with even small leaks can end up leading to major damage in the future. If you believe there’s even a chance your home may be experiencing a roof leak, call a roofer right away. Remember, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Over-Insulating: As we’ve discussed before, proper roof insulation is essential. Yet while not having enough insulation can certainly be a major problem, having too much is not good either. Make sure there is enough room under your roof and in your attic for proper ventilation to happen, so that you don’t end up having to get rid of mold growth. This brings us to…
- Never Checking Your Attic: An attic that is not properly ventilated and insulated can lead to mold growth, leaks, and irregular temperatures throughout your home. If you just assume everything is fine in your attic, make sure to check up there occasionally—you may be surprised to find more than just storage.
- Using a Pressure Washer: It’s natural to want to clean your roof occasionally in order to prevent mold and keep its appearance beautiful. However, many people assume the best wat to do this is with a pressure washer, which can actually cause damage to your shingles and other roofing materials. Cleaning your roof with a simple hose is best, and if you cannot reach it, you may want to hire a professional. And while we’re on the subject of that, let’s talk about…
- Walking on Your Roof: In addition to being extremely dangerous, walking on the roof can cause additional damage to your roofing materials, with shoe tread tearing away at the granules on your shingles that are essential for leak protection. While most homeowners have done this at some point, try not to unless it is absolutely necessary, and if you really need someone to see what’s happening on top of your house, hire a professional instead.
- Failing to Get Roof Inspections: Everyone’s property needs a roof inspection occasionally. This is the best way to tell if your property needs any repairs, or other major work.
- Re-Roofing On Top of Shingles: Finally, while we’re talking about roofing work, let’s talk about roof replacement—specifically, what you should never do during this process. While many homeowners think it’s okay to put down new shingles without tearing the old ones up, this is extremely dangerous for your roof and your entire property. Never do this on your own, and never trust a professional roofer who says this is the proper way to go about re-roofing.
Divine Roofing, Inc. Keeps Your Roof in Pristine Condition
At Divine Roofing, Inc., our main priority is making sure your roofing looks great and lasts a long time. That’s why we offer a range of service options to suit all your residential roofing needs. From storm damage to new roofing to emergency repairs, you can trust that our Colorado Springs roofing experts have got you covered. Call now to learn more about financing options, warranties, and insurance claim assistance, and click here to find out why customers love Divine Roofing, Inc. in their own words.
We are available by phone at (719) 497-1005, or you can send us a message online.