Preventing Pest Damage to Your Roof
While living in an area with a lot of wildlife can be idyllic, it can also create a risk for the exterior of your home. Your house is a haven for your family — not for unwanted critters! Keep reading to learn how to keep your roof protected against damage from animals and insects.
Common Animals That Can Damage Your Exterior
If an insect or animal enters your home through your roof, it can become trapped in your attic or other rooms of your home, continuing to create damage inside. Most roof damage results from the following animals:
- Insects such as termites, carpenter ants, and bees.
- Rodents such as mice, rats, and squirrels.
The Importance of Roof Maintenance
Beyond forming a colony in your home, insects and rodents can chew wires, cause damage to your property, leave droppings, and nest in your insulation. If you do notice a pest infestation, you should call a professional exterminator immediately.
The key to preventing most pest damage is to regularly keep up your roof and have it inspected by a professional roofing company. However, a good place for you to start at home would be to perform the following home maintenance:
- Check your home inside for gaps or holes (especially near pipes and utilities).
- Pull out old plants that could attract bugs.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from your exterior.
- Check outdoor decorations before bringing them in the house.